Imagine a dish that combines affordability with incredible flavor. That’s precisely what my Amish friend introduced me to – the “Poor Man’s Steak.” This humble yet satisfying recipe is a testament to the Amish tradition of turning basic ingredients into culinary masterpieces. In this article, we’ll explore this delightful dish, learn how to prepare it, and delve into some fascinating FAQs that will enrich your understanding of why it’s so good.
To create this mouthwatering dish, you’ll need the following ingredients:
|Crumbled saltine crackers
|Salt and pepper
|For the gravy sauce
|Cream of mushroom soup
These simple ingredients come together to create a dish that’s anything but ordinary.
Now, let’s dive into the step-by-step instructions on how to prepare this Amish classic:
- Preheat the Oven: Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F.
- Mix the Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, crumbled saltine crackers, milk, minced onion, salt, black pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder. Mix them thoroughly until well combined.
- Shape the Patties: Shape the mixture into oval or rectangular patties, similar to traditional steak shapes.
- Coat with Flour: Coat each patty with flour, shaking off any excess.
- Cook the Patties: In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Place the coated patties in the skillet and cook until they’re browned on both sides, which takes about 3 minutes per side. This step enhances the color and flavor.
- Transfer to Baking Dish: Transfer the browned patties to a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Prepare the Gravy Sauce: In a bowl, mix the cream of mushroom soup and milk to create the gravy sauce.
- Pour the Gravy: Pour the prepared gravy sauce over the patties in the baking dish.
- Bake: Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 50 minutes. Then, remove the cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes until the dish is perfectly cooked.
- Enjoy: Serve and savor the hearty and comforting flavors of this Amish classic. It’s a dish where simple ingredients come together to create a mouthwatering experience that your whole family will love.