These delectably simple Honey Roasted Carrots are first drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Then they are roasted to perfection to bring out their natural sweetness and glazed with butter, honey, and a little cayenne pepper. The end result is the ultimate side dish for baked ham, roasted turkey, grilled chicken, and pork chops.
Sometimes it is hard to come up with easy sides that really please your family. These carrot, Bacon Wrapped Asparagus, Creamed Peas with Pearl Onions, and Stir Fried Green Beans with Ginger and Garlic are just a few of our favorites.
HOW TO MAKE HONEY ROASTED CARROTS
Start by peeling and slicing your carrots on a diagonal in thick slices. Then add the sliced carrots to a bowl and drizzle with olive and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then place them in a single layer on a large sheet pan covered with parchment paper. Roast for about 20 minutes or until fork tender.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the honey and cayenne pepper and stir to combine, cooking for several minutes. Add the roasted carrots to the skillet and toss to coat. Sprinkle the carrots with fresh thyme.
RECIPES NOTES AND HELPFUL TIPS
- For aesthetic purposes, peel carrots. You will appreciate that you did. The bright orange color is aesthetically pleasing. Don’t peel them if using baby carrots.
- Cut the carrots into 2-inch segments. Cut thick ends in half.
- The little bit of cayenne pepper in this recipe does not make it spicy or hot it adds a bit more flavor dimension.
- Roast the carrots just until they are fork-tender.
- Fresh herbs like thyme, parsley, and rosemary really take these carrots over the top, but in a pinch, you can substitute dried herbs.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat at reduced power in the microwave.
- Spices – kick it up a few notches with a little bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, chili powder, or ground cloves.
- Nuts – add some toasted pine nuts, chopped pecans, or almond slivers
- Sweeteners – substitute maple syrup, brown sugar, or even Mirin (which is sweetened sake) for the honey
- Colorful Carrots – look for bright, beautiful colored carrots like Lunar White Carrots, Solar Yellow Carrots, Cosmic Purple Carrots, and Atomic Red Carrots.